Thursday 4 July 2013

Living In Comfort Zone

It has been a long time since I last blogged about my journey. I am currently in the midst of a loop, where I have not been working as hard as I want to. I really admire and respect individuals who do not waste time at all. How do they even get the consistent drive to perform the day's tasks without diverging away from their aims?

Currently, I am in the midst of my own comfort zone. My job has made me soft, provided me with the delusion that I have already broken into the industry. The fact is, I have not. Where I am right now is not a good indication of the industry. I was lucky to enter a prop trading firm and today, one of my colleague told me that he is not aware of a prop trading firm that pays a basic pay throughout the country. The fact is, those same firms usually give you a live account faster before you can say hello, and the interview process is much more stringent. They want you making money for them right off the bat. The sad thing is, that is not how it works at where I am. I am required to stay for one year, before getting a chance to trade live. The entire process is too slow, and I have personally gotten TOO COMFORTABLE there. I need to change my mindset.

I am definitely not suggesting where I am is not good enough. However, for a man with big dreams like me, I need to push myself harder and faster. I do not have so much time to spend doing "mock trading"... However, my results from my mock trading is disappointing as well. I have grown to understand the harsh reality of trading, and understand that there exists much obstacles for me to conquer should I want to succeed in trading, and ultimately, opening my own hedge fund.

It is also time for me to enter the market soon, every minute lost is opportunity cost to me, and my investment career. I do not have time anymore to keep on staying in my comfort zone... Very soon, I will need to go back for a new semester of study in my university and there will definitely be some clashes with regards to my schedule... It is time to focus, time to be strong and time for me to achieve what I can. I will end off this post with a quote from a world renowned Greek philosopher, Aristotle. As the saying goes: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just came across this and read it. Makes a good read, interesting to know what it is like in a prop firm.

    I too am a trader but do it for myself. I know what you mean about needing to make the cash and start trading soon but I've learned that patience plays a big role in being a successful trader. It is tough with all that is going on but you seem dedicated and that is a big positive.

    Keep up the blogging and if you want to bounce ideas about trading then feel free to holla. I'm relatively new in this myself, 6 months in, but I know a thing or two.

    By the way I know you think you dont have time anymore but take time as experience if you are being productive with it. Trading comes to those who are patient...let the trade come to you, no chasing...just like the knowledge will come with practise, if you feel like you need it quicker your emotions will get the better of your trading.

    Also if you have time read a book called 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill. Very good for inspiration to keep you going.

    Keep up the good work and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thanks for being the first person to comment here! I am always encouraged when I see interested individuals who share the same interest and passion as me.

      Yes, the prop trading firm I am at is very family based, this means that there are less regulations and hiring requirements are less stringent. I was really lucky to enter here as compared to my peers, given that its my first year in University and this is my first summer break.

      I would definitely like to connect with traders who are passionate about the financial markets as well. I will set up a contact page soon. Thank you and hope to hear from you then.

      Delete