Thursday 20 February 2014

Travel Insurance By MSIG

Today, I wish to stress on the importance of travel insurance when travelling overseas. I have been the victim of major illnesses like food poisoning on various occasions, suffering huge monetary losses after being admitted into the hospital. Luckily, I have always bought travel insurance.

The reason why I decided to make this a post was because I recently incurred a huge loss of $1,500 for medical expenses in Vietnam last December. My daughter was admitted into the hospital in Vietnam and had to stay in the hospital for 7 to 8 days. When I went back to Singapore, I submitted a claim and it was approved in around 10 days before a cheque was formally sent to my mailing address. I was very pleased with the professionalism that was being shown and the great customer service rendered to me when I called them.

I remembered buying another travel insurance through Jetstar while going overseas as well a few years ago. During that trip, I was also admitted into the hospital. I was also reimbursed for my medical expenses as well. Sadly, I was admitted to the hospital on my departure date and had to cancel my entire trip back to Singapore but was not reimbursed for the plane tickets. The claims office also did not make any efforts to request additional documents from me. In the end, I suffered a huge monetary loss when they only approve my claim for my medical expenses.

This brings me to my final point. I am touched by MSIG Travel Insurance and will no doubt be a long time loyal customer to them. As for Jetstar or Chartis Insurance, I will never book a flight or purchase any insurance through them again. Jetstar prides itself on being the cheapest budget carrier but I can simply pay $50 more and get better service from other flights, with meals on the flight. I have tried to call them various times when things go wrong but was either put on hold, or experienced unusual hanging up of phone. That is a story for another day, but if you must fly, remember MSIG.

2 comments:

  1. Your are providing great services. i always consider travel insurance at priority before planning any trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, thank you for your comment. Travel insurance is definitely a must before going on any trips as one never knows what might happen overseas. I used to think it was useless but through my experiences above, have came to understand the importance of it. I believe it is the same for medical, savings as well as investment plans. The only question is whether we are able to get an ethical agent...

      Delete