Sunday 9 February 2014

Portfolio Passes $10,000

Today is a significant milestone in my investment journey. Today marks the day where my portfolio has exceeded $10,000 from capital gains, dividends and constant deposits (with constant deposits accounting for the most significant contribution haha). I have learnt more about investing in these past 6 months than I have in my entire life and I do not foresee this investment learning journey to stop. I will continue to improve and work harder towards achieving my goals.

On a side note, I have finally managed to catch up to all my school work but I have to revise previous weeks worth of school work in order to stand a chance of performing exceptionally well this semester.

I have also started cramming on discounted cash flow analysis and finally understand why it is such a powerful tool to value a stock's intrinsic value. I also have to get more aggressive with my recruiting efforts seeing as to how the summer is rapidly approaching. One of the seven habits of highly effective person is to begin with the end in mind so I will continue to list some goals to make sure I am on track. These are my goals for the year:
  1. $20,000 in my investment portfolio by the end of this year (optimistic about this goal as long as the stock market do not crash and US do not play with the debt ceiling again)
  2. Get to a certain leadership position for my school's club (this might be the most challenging goal)
  3. Get a better grade than all of my previous semesters by studying for at least 2 hours a day on topics that have been went through before for any subject
  4. Exercise regularly and maintain a good physique (not hard considering I have a duty to go for army trainings)
  5. Get a good summer internship (something that I foresee to be incredibly hard, I was "lucky" during my first year)
  6. Join the CFA student membership and start networking like a ninja
  7. Take part in seminars and courses in order to upgrade myself and make myself a stronger individual
  8. Ensure a certain level of liquidity and thriftiness in my day to day spending habits
  9. Subscribe to The Straits Times and The Business Times
  10. Continue to meet more new people and make more good friends
  11. Learn more about the oil and gas industry so that I will never look stupid when questioned again during interviews
  12. Most importantly, always be attentive to my family and smile together in times of happiness and hardships
Ok, now I am pumped! There you go, no matter what life throws my way, I will kick back with extra tenacity and passion!

1 comment:

  1. Investment portfolio is not only about investing in stock. You need to practise what you study from the books - managing risks and return through asset allocation.
    Check out the secrets of wealth building in SG Wealth Builder (www.sgwealthbuilders.com).

    Regards,
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete